“The Lego Movie 2” took home the top award at the 2020 Movieguide Awards, which were broadcast Monday on the Hallmark Channel. The mainstream film won the honor of Best Movie for Families, and the hit film about Fred Rogers, “A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood,” won Best Movie for Mature Audiences.
“There’s nothing cooler than looking at a dad laughing at one of our jokes and he looks down at his 8-year-old daughter and she’s laughing at the same joke,” director Mike Mitchell told The Christian Post. “It’s just so inspirational.”
Other award winners included:
- “Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings: These Old Bones” — Faith & Freedom Award for TV
- “The Least Of These: The Graham Staines Story” — Faith & Freedom Award for Movies
- “A Puppy Christmas” — Genesis Animal Award
- Aryn Wright-Thompson (“Overcomer”) — Grace Prize for Movies
- Jonathan Roumie (“The Chosen”) — Grace Prize for TV
- “Overcomer” and “Christmas Wishes” and “Mistletoe Kisses” — Epiphany Prizes for Movie and TV, respectively
TV host Kathie Lee Gifford was presented with the Visionary Award by former co-host Regis Philbin.
“When I sat in that darkened little movie theater in Annapolis, Md., when I was 12 years old and watched a Billy Graham movie called ‘The Restless Ones,’ it spoke to my heart,” Gifford said. “I felt like I heard Jesus himself say to me, ‘Kathie, I love you. If you’ll trust me, I’ll make something beautiful out of your life.’
“Now, all these years later, I’m writing movies, I’m producing movies and, by the grace of God, now actually even directing movies in Israel to the oratorios that God has been blessing me to write with some of the greatest writers in this world. I simply cannot believe God’s grace and bounty in my life. I will forever praise Him and thank Him and, hopefully, make many, many, more movies to come.”